Sunday, September 27, 2009

Heidelberg

On Thursday, September 17th we took the train from Brussels, Belgium to Heidelberg, Germany. When we arrived in Heidelberg we had time to visit Heidelberg Castle. This is an amazing place. Most of the castle is in ruins. It was destroyed by the French in the late 17th century. Despite this, it is a beautiful place and I can't even begin to imagine how grand it was in its era. Below are a couple pictures taken in the castle's courtyard. There are many more pictures at the Fellowship Photos link on the right side of this page.


The picture below was taken from the castle looking back down toward the Neckar River that runs through Heidelberg.

The next day we were picked up by Ines Tesch. She was a McCloy Fellow and traveled to the U.S. in 2007. She now works for BASF in their Global Public/Government Affairs Department for their Crop Protection Division. She and her boss Rainer von Mielecki talked to us about BASF and their strategy for dealing with issues that arise in their business. They seem to have an effective way of dealing with potential public relations problems. They gave us several brochures that they have developed including one I really like called "Agricultural Policy Debate - A business based on fear: the bio-wave." We ate lunch at their restaurant. Then we visited Hunger's Hofladle which is a vegetable grower with direct marketing to the public. He is especially known for white asparagus in the spring but he grows a number of other vegetables, including tomatoes (second picture below), that are marketed in his own store (first picture below) and in local supermarkets (third picture below) which we stopped at before going to the train station.



1 comment:

  1. I lived in Heidelberg for a few years when I was younger. My favorite place to go was Spandou, not sure if I spelled that right. I remember the courtyard with the metal tiles you could jump on to play music. I also remember the subways and the armies underground. I remember the wall was still there at that time, albeit covered in graffiti. This brought back memories of kids yelling at me zu zpeil, zu zpeil as I ran like the wind.

    ReplyDelete